Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Lawn Art Website Critiques

Finally got approval to see peoples twitter posts, so here are my Lawn Art Websites critiques:

Tlwildman (http://tiffany.usi-artspace.com/):

The objective of this site is to show the many lawn art around Evansville. I love how the website is very clean and simple. There isn't a lot of clutter and text that most people have on their sites. I also like the glass grass design behind the menu. It's a great design and fits with the theme. The menu rollover effect is also a really nice touch. I especially like how you added the white outline to the text so it would be easy to read.

There are only few minor things that could be improved. I would add the page titles bellow the pictures in the menu on the home page. Once you visit a link, you see page titles on the navigation bar on the bottom of each page. Another thing I noticed, is that you have two links to the home page on each sub-page. One should be enough. Having two might confuse people. The last thing that noticed that might need improvement, is that the home page image of the waterfall is out of place. I can see it connects to the outdoors and this is a lawn art website, but it doesn't really have anything to do with lawn or art.

What I would first add the sub-page titles bellow the main navigation bar on the home page. That way, it would be easier to navigate and tie a little better to the navigation bar on the sub-pages. I would also remove one of the home page links on the sub-page's navigation bar. The last home page link might be the best one to remove because people naturally look for the home page link at the front of the navigation list; not the last. Lastly, I would replace the waterfall picture on the homepage to something that relates more to lawn art. Maybe do something like you did for the homepage navigation bar but with a different picture. Besides those things, I really enjoyed this website.

MichaelDavis45 (http://mdavis.willyworld.org/LawnArt/):

The objective of this site is to show the many lawn art around Evansville. I was impressed by this site the minute I saw the homepage. I love how you combined the background color with your design. Most people, including myself, have our website and then have a colored background that stands out from the website. Your website design flows together well with the background and makes it look like one large image instead of two separate designs; website and background. I also love the typeface that you used. It's not too fancy, but at the same time, it isn't boring like Arial or Times. I like the rollover effect on the navigation bar also. It adds a nice design element to the site.

There are only few things that I believe needs improvement. The navigation bar moves too much for me when going from page to page. One page it's on the right side, then it's in the middle of the page on the next page, and then on the left side on the next page. I also believe that the text on the homepage is too cluttered. Finally, the navigation should maybe have either a label for each sub-page, or a rollover title for each link.

I would first make sure the navigation bar stays in the same place from the homepage to each sub-page. I suggest keeping it where the navigation bar is placed on the homepage. This way, the navigation bar is easily accessible and not jumping around from page to page. I would maybe reduce the font size of the text on the front page so it fits the green box better. Right now its cluttered and the last few words are kinda thrown at the end of the text. Reducing the size should allow a nice flow of the text and make it less cluttered. I personally would like to see some sort of label for the navigation bar. Either add a title bellow each link or have the title pop up when you rollover the link. That way people will have an idea what the page contains before clicking the link. Besides those few things, I absolutely love the website.

Aristeia88 (http://michael.usi-artspace.com/main.htm):

The objective of this site is to show the many lawn art around Evansville. I like the background image of the website. It ties in well with the lawn art theme and eye pleasing. I also liked how you have a variety of categories instead of a few basic ones like other Lawn Art sites. The pictures you chose for each category are really nice and fits really well with the each category and theme. The font face and color are nicely used and really stands out from the grass background.

There are a few things that I believe needs improvement. The navigation bar on the main page blends with the background image too much. It might confuse a lot of people when viewing your site. I feel that the page runs too long on each sub-page. A lot of scrolling usually causes the viewer to loose interest and leave your site. I also believe that the pictures should maybe have some sort of labels. Right now it looks kinda thrown together.

I would use the theme you used on the sub-pages on the homepage. Right now, the homepage seems to be a completely different site then the sub-pages. I would then reduce the size of the pictures on each sub-page and maybe put them in a column format or a place them randomly on the page. Might even pick two or three of the best pictures and remove the rest. This will reduce all the scrolling and wont make people navigating your website to loose interest. I personally would add a small description bellow each image. This makes it more website oriented then just a photo gallery with a lot of pictures on each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment